We encourage applications from trans, gender diverse and intersex people, Black, indigenous and Latinx people and people of color, D/deaf and disabled people, people from a migrant background, and sex workers.
|Application Deadline:||30 December 2021, 5pm EST|
|Location:||Home-based / Remote|
|Language required:||English fluency, additional languages preferred|
Trans, gender diverse and intersex people are being targeted by anti-gender movements operating at the social, political and institutional level. Those movements are trying to restrict or deny access to human rights, including autonomy and self-determination, depathologization, mental and bodily integrity, legal gender recognition and gender affirming healthcare, informed consent, sanitation, no discrimination and freedom from torture.
Over the past two years GATE has contributed to increase the capacity of trans, gender diverse and intersex movements to respond to anti-gender movements operating at the international, regional and national levels. At this moment, GATE is seeking to strengthen and expand its own capacity by hiring a dedicated Program Officer to lead GATE’s work in this critical field.
The Program Officer will be expected to undertake the following activities:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of GATE’s work plan.
- Lead GATE’s international advocacy work on anti-gender movements.
- Conduct and/or coordinate data collection and analysis.
- Conduct and/or coordinate capacity-building and knowledge-sharing initiatives.
- Provide technical and/or political support to trans, gender diverse and intersex movements addressing anti-gender issues
- Contribute to and/or write reports, blog pieces and other documents disseminating GATE’s work and communicating our activities and results.
- Lead GATE’s outreach, network-building and engagement with external partners.
- Provide support to GATE’s management, including inputs to budget, fundraising and reporting activities.
- Provide support to other GATE’s programs as needed.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
The Program Officer is expected to have the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- At least 5 years of work in the field of trans, gender diverse and/or intersex issues.
- Deep knowledge of anti-gender movements and their impact on trans, gender diverse and intersex people.
- Strong commitment with inclusive and intersectional feminism, decolonization and depathologization.
- Ability to work remotely and have reliable internet access.
- Fluency in English. Working knowledge of additional languages is an added value.
- Excellent analytical, written, facilitation and oral communication skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to integrate ideas from diverse views, create partnerships, and collaborate with others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Willingness to travel.
- Willing to work in a virtual environment with a diverse team.
Reporting and Performance Monitoring
The Program Officer will report directly to the Director of Programs.
Submit the following to the email listed below with the suggested subject line by 5:00 pm EST on 30 December 2021:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line: Surname – Program Officer (e.g. Lopez – Program Officer)
- Cover letter
- CV/Resume (maximum 2 pages), including name and contact details of two references.
GATE is an international organization working on gender identity, gender expressions and sex characteristics. It was founded in 2009, and it is registered in New York (USA). GATE’s programmatic work is organized around four main areas: Depathologization, HIV, Movement Building and UN, with a cross-cutting emphasis on socio-economic justice.