GATE campaigns globally for trans,
gender diverse and intersex equality
- Support GATE on Giving Tuesday: 29 November 2022Help GATE raise $10,000 in 24 hours on 29 November towards capacity building programs for trans, gender diverse and intersex communities across the globe!
- Trans Awareness Week 2022Trans Awareness Week, held annually from 13-19 November, aims to increase the visibility of issues that trans and gender diverse communities face across the world.
- INTERSTATES-OF-THE-ARTINTERSTATES-OF-THE-ART is a collection of art pieces requested from intersex artivists. This collection is a chance to gather intersex artivists perpectives and agendas around intersex politics and arts and to highlight intersex artists personal statements of art.
Founded by Mauro Cabral Grinspan and Justus Eisfeld, GATE has been working towards towards justice and equality for trans, gender diverse and intersex communities since 2009.
GATE works collaboratively with strategic partners to advocate and create opportunities for inclusion of our communities in global decision-making processes.
GATE is an international advocacy organization working towards justice and equality for trans, gender diverse and intersex communities. Rooted in our movements, we work collaboratively with strategic partners at the global level to provide knowledge, resources and access to UN mechanisms and bodies. We give voice to and empower communities affected by issues of gender identity, sex characteristics and bodily diversity by creating critical knowledge, providing organizational resources and forging connections with UN bodies, networks and key organizations.
GATE envisions a world free from human rights violations based on gender identity, gender expression and sex characteristics. Our strategy is to transform the landscape of global advocacy, knowledge creation and resource distribution through critical inclusion of trans, gender diverse and intersex movements at all levels of political, legal and socio-economic processes.
GATE believes in the emancipatory power of trans, gender diverse and intersex activists:
- We provide our communities with support, technical capacity and knowledge to enable them to politically mobilize on issues of gender identity, gender expression and sex characteristics.
- We produce and share critical knowledge, advocate for increased and more accessible funding for community-led efforts, monitor key international processes and facilitate community activists’ engagement with these processes.
- We are committed to being fully accountable to our communities, to fighting for all forms of emancipation, justice and reparations, and to supporting activists’ development and wellbeing.
UNGA77 | No challenge in UN Third Committee as the mandate of the Independent Expert on SOGI is renewed for a second time
The Third Committee of the UN General Assembly adopted the resolution presenting the Annual Report of the Human Rights Council today without a challenge to the renewal of the mandate of the Independent Expert on protection against violence and discrimination on the basis of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (IE SOGI) for a second time.
Support GATE on Giving Tuesday: 29 November 2022
Help GATE raise $10,000 in 24 hours on 29 November towards capacity building programs for trans, gender diverse and intersex communities across the globe!
Trans Day of Remembrance 2022: Mourning, caring, mobilising
On 20 November 2022, we pause to mark Trans Day of Remembrance (TDoR) and raise awareness about violence against trans and gender-diverse people.
Trans and Gender Diverse Values and Preferences Report
GATE conducted a qualitative study among global trans & gender diverse community members to understand values and preferences regarding HIV, hepatitis & STI services.
De-democratization, Gender+ and Exclusion Policies in Europe Conference
In July 2022, GATE’s gender movement program officer participated in the conference “De-democratization, Gender + and Exclusion Policies in Europe“, in Seville, Spain. The conference was attended by scholars from various disciplines and activists working in the field. The aim of this conference was to create synergies between the academic world and civil society, focusing… Read More »De-democratization, Gender+ and Exclusion Policies in Europe Conference
Intersex Bodies: Global South Alliances in Africa
GATE is hosting a webinar to discuss the trajectories of intersex-led movements in the Global South, in its second iteration we’re having activists from Africa